Lubbock County, Texas

State Of Texas - County Of Lubbock

Text Size: A | A | A

General Assistance

Diana Gurule-Copado
916 Main Street, Suite 104
Lubbock, TX 79401

Phone: 806-775-1605
Fax: 806-775-7982

Hours of Operation: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM 
Monday - Friday


Lubbock County General Assistance is a public, tax-supported family agency established primarily to meet, on a temporary basis, the financial needs of the indigent families who are residents of Lubbock County.

Casework services are offered to the needy for the purpose of assisting in rehabilitation of the client and/or his family members.

The Agency's amounts of assistance are set by the County Commissioners Court which is solely responsible for all policies, requirements and changes.

An advisory board assists the agency in recommending implementation of policies. The board is composed of seven Lubbock citizens appointed by the County Commissioners Court.

The office Director is appointed by the County Commissioners Court.


Rent: Our agency assists with payment for the current month's rent. The landlord must verbally agree to accept amounts offered by this office. We do not assist with deposits or pay any amount in arrears. Additional amounts are provided if rent includes utility services.

Utilities: Payment on utility bills will be for the current month only. We do not assist with deposits. The utility services must be connected. Our agency does not pay telephone bills.

Food: Before a client can apply for an emergency grocery order, he or she must provide proof from the Food Stamp office showing why they are not eligible for emergency food stamps. Our office cannot assist a client with emergency grocery orders more than once every six months.

Cremations: The residency requirement does not apply to cremations. However, the deceased must have expired in Lubbock County to be considered for cremation assistance. If a Lubbock County resident expires outside of Lubbock County, our agency cannot commit for the expense of having the body transported back to Lubbock County. If another resource can pay the expense of transporting the body then our agency would be able to take an application to see if the client would qualify.




Household must include either a totally disabled adult or a minor child and must have been without income for thirty days. Head of household must be at least 18 years of age or married, and provide proof that household has resided in Lubbock County for thirty days prior to applying for assistance.

Intake Procedure:
Appointments only


A picture I.D. for all adults in the household. 
Social Security cards of everyone residing in the household.

Support Service:
Bilingual staff
Facilities accessible to persons with disabilities.

Contact Us

916 Main St, Lubbock, TX 79401

More Information